Tags

, ,

I needed to create a prototype for an app that would aid in the cross cultural relationships between home and international students at The University of the West of England. To do so I conducted research into why students from different cultures were having trouble integrating with one another, and what other issues they faced when moving to the UK to study. I looked at articles that focused on the differences in communication styles of different cultures, spoke with the Coordinating Chaplin for the Universities Faith and Spirituality team, conducted interviews with both international and home students to find out what issues they were experiencing. I then took this information and used it to inform my further research and development of the app.

I started by creating two proto-personas and two mind maps, of scenarios that they may find themselves in using MindMeister. This way I could make sure that my app would be useful to them in a ‘real-world’ setting.

Then I started planning my app’s pages and content, and creating wire-frames.

In order to make sure that my design would work well for the user I created some low-fidelity paper prototypes for quick and easy user testing. I sat down with someone and gave them instructions to ‘navigate’ the app to complete a series of tasks.

I took notes of how easy they found the app to navigate and used this information to inform the final design of the app’s user interface.

I created high-fidelity mock-ups in Adobe Photoshop and uploaded them to Invision as a way to simulate how the app will look and feel when developed. This was great because it allowed me to refine my designs and conduct further user testing.

To test my full prototype on Invision please click here
To read my written report click here.

Advertisements