Mobile game development

I used Android Studio to create interactive applications for mobile using Java as well as a guide on how to get started with developing for Android. I developed applications that would record sound and video, respond to touch gestures and eventually used Unity to develop a mobile game.

I started by creating a specification of what would need to be included in the game. I then designed an island terrain on paper and re-created it in Unity.

I created a scenario where the player needs to drive a vehicle using the GUI to accelerate and brake, and the phones gyroscope to turn by tilting the phone, and jump across to another part of the island, collect rockets, and clear a blocked bridge to rescue a kidnapped scientist. Using C# I created scripts for all of the interactive elements and made start, and and game over screens.

Click here to read the report on the key points and features.

To download the game APK file click here.

UX Cross Cultural Understanding

I needed to create a prototype for an app that would aid in the cross cultural relationships between home and international students at The University of the West of England. To do so I conducted research into why students from different cultures were having trouble integrating with one another, and what other issues they faced when moving to the UK to study. I looked at articles that focused on the differences in communication styles of different cultures, spoke with the Coordinating Chaplin for the Universities Faith and Spirituality team, conducted interviews with both international and home students to find out what issues they were experiencing. I then took this information and used it to inform my further research and development of the app.

I started by creating two proto-personas and two mind maps, of scenarios that they may find themselves in using MindMeister. This way I could make sure that my app would be useful to them in a ‘real-world’ setting.

Then I started planning my app’s pages and content, and creating wire-frames.

In order to make sure that my design would work well for the user I created some low-fidelity paper prototypes for quick and easy user testing. I sat down with someone and gave them instructions to ‘navigate’ the app to complete a series of tasks.

I took notes of how easy they found the app to navigate and used this information to inform the final design of the app’s user interface.

I created high-fidelity mock-ups in Adobe Photoshop and uploaded them to Invision as a way to simulate how the app will look and feel when developed. This was great because it allowed me to refine my designs and conduct further user testing.

To test my full prototype on Invision please click here.
To read my written report click here.

Web Designing with Hotglue

Designing

One of the first things I did at University was learn how to document, wireframe, plan and design a website using Hotglue.

hotgluepic

Processing

I also learned how to use Processing which is a framework built on top of Java that allowed me to ‘sketch’ out interesting visual effects.

processingpic

AppFurnace

As well as this I created an app using AppFurnace that would serve as a guide for the Bristol Balloon Fiesta.
appfurnace

While Hotglue has programming limitations that do not allow for the creation of a responsive website it did allow me to focus on the documentation and design process.

To see my work please click here.